A comprehensive study of left-hand technique with numerous demonstrations using orchestral and solo repertoire.
What is 'Integral Technique?'
It's an online video course presented by Dr Marcos Machado which comprises 4 hours of HD video across 80 lessons.
It is a comprehensive study of left hand technique with numerous demonstrations using orchestral and solo repertoire.
Written with intermediate to advanced bassists in mind, this course is perfect for those who are looking for new approaches to left hand technique on the double bass. It's a complete system, covering the whole register of the double bass including thumb position.
Detailed transcriptions are included so you will have everything you need to get the most from these lessons.
Optional subtitles in English are provided for each video and if you want to see a sample lesson please click here: Lesson Preview.
With these lessons, you will learn to play with total freedom to express your musical ideas.
What Will I Learn?
- The 80 video lessons are presented in a step-by-step order giving you a clear and logical route through the course material.
- The course covers a wide range of essential topics including pivots, crab, fork, fan, playing with four fingers, vibrato, thumb position, shifting, trills, finger substitution, scale and arpeggio exercises, how to develop dexterity and endurance, and much more!
Dr Marcos Machado is Professor of Double Bass at The University of Southern Mississippi, author of 'The Tao of Bass' series of books and a world-renowned virtuoso.
Detailed transcriptions of the exercises are included. These PDFs are displayed on the lesson pages and can be downloaded if required.
• 80 lessons, 4hrs of video to stream online.
• Detailed transcriptions.
• Videos include optional subtitles in English.
• Ask questions in our exclusive members-only study group.
• 30 day full refund policy.
Here's what's being said about the course:
"Marcos Machado treats us as intelligent and curious performers, suggesting that instead of blindly adhering to all of the rules and dogma of any given method, we play to our physical and mental strengths by finding those left-hand techniques that work best for us.
By providing a host of different fingerings and extensions as examples, he encourages and helps us to find custom-made, personal solutions to musical puzzles that defy traditional solutions. Integral Technique is a valuable tool especially for those willing to do a bit of unconventional searching and experimenting."
- Frank Proto, Renowned bassist and composer.
"I am thrilled to see this pairing of Discover Double Bass and the great Marcos Machado! His book, Tao of Bass Vol.1, has become a required text at Appalachian State University for the bass studio. It shows that, aside from being a master performer, Marcos is a dedicated pedagogue who brilliantly distills the fundamentals from various styles and methods, from Simandl, Rabbath, Bille, and Prunner, among various other greats. I always recommend Discover Double Bass to any student as a valuable resource, but with this new offering, DDB has truly taken bass pedagogy to the next level! "
- Dr. Adam Booker, Assistant Professor of Double Bass at Appalachian State University
"Marcos has done a vast work to grow personnaly, to open our horizon and to give us material to progress. I encourage bassists to be open to new concepts and dare to put the effort of doing that kind of work, Marcos has a lot to bring us. Experiment, organise, be a sponge, absorb. But like François Rabbath says, beware of the ocean! One thing at a time..."
- Étienne LaFrance, Ex Co-Principal bassist with the Orchestre Symphonique de Québec-Founder, Domain Forget, faculty at Domain Forget.
"Dr. Machado’s concept is a sensational tool for all bassist who wants to expand and improve their knowledge about the double bass and their skills on the fingerboard."
- Andrés Martín, Eastman Strings Artist, soloist, chamber musician and composer.
"Integral Technique is fascinating. It has been very valuable for the development of my students."
- Antonio Arzolla, Double Bass Professor at Unirio University in Rio de Janeiro. Principal bass at Orquestra Sinfônica Teatro Municipal do Rio de Janeiro.
"In his new course, Integral Technique, Marcos Machado presents an extensive examination of a variety of left hand techniques for use on the double bass. His clear explications are presented in tandem with excellent exercises for the development of each technique, as well as examples for their application in the standard classical repertory.
The course itself is extremely well thought-out and clearly presented, and his non-dogmatic philosophy of technical “coexistence” permeates each lesson and encourages a sense of discovery and exploration for the student.
This course is an excellent resource for all students of the double bass, and henceforth, it will be recommended to all of my students. I cannot recommend it strongly enough. In short, this is a powerhouse of a course on the left hand, and it should be in every bassists’ pedagogic library."
- Donovan Stokes, Professor of Music at Shenandoah University-Conservatory
"Students who work from this tutorial will most definitely be successful!"
- Sandrino Santoro, Legendary double bass professor. Former professor at UFRJ, UNIRIO, and Villa-Lobos School of Music in Rio de Janeiro.
Frequently Asked Questions
My approach is non-dogmatic, I combine many schools and many different approaches.