Orchestra Chops Vol. 2 is an online course by classical double bass specialist Joseph Conyers.
This course is built for any bassist who wants to improve their classical technique and learn key excerpts from the classical bass repertoire. It's also perfect for double bassists preparing for orchestral auditions as these excerpts are commonly required.
Orchestra Chops Vol. 2 comprises 36 lessons over 3 hours of video that covers the following seven orchestral excerpts:
- Johannes Brahms, Symphony No. 1 in C minor, Movement I (mm. 161-189)
- Richard Strauss, 'Ein Heldenleben', Op. 40, (Rehearsal Numbers 9-11)
- Gustav Mahler, Symphony No. 2 "Resurrection", Movement I (mm. 1-20)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Symphony No. 40 in G Minor, K.550, Movement I (pickup to mm. 115-138)
- Modest Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition, “Samuel Goldenburg and Schmuyle”, (Rehearsal Numbers 56-58)
- Sergei Prokofiev, 'Romeo and Juliet' Suite No. 2, Movement V, 5 measures before Rehearsal Number 50
- Johann Sebastian Bach, Violin Concerto in E Major, BWV 1042, Movement II, (mm. 1-10).
Joseph Conyers presents each excerpt in detail covering musical context, phrasing, bowings, articulations, rhythms, and more, while also teaching his unique expressive style and techniques to help you improve every aspect of your playing. Each lesson has everything you need including the excerpt music with bowings and markings, orchestral scores, and recordings of each piece. Joe's engaging presence will be sure to motivate you to practice and improve, think about the music in a new way, and give you the edge you need to perform these excerpts at your very best.
This course is available to stream online, exclusively at Discover Double Bass.
Joseph Conyers is a committed performer, educator and director based in Philadelphia. He has been the assistant principal bassist of the Philadelphia Orchestra since 2010 and teaches double bass at The Juilliard School, NY. He is also director of the music education and leadership nonprofit Project 440.
Orchestra Chops covers not only the mechanics of playing these musical gems but the tools and tips of the trade to take your performance to the next level.
What will I learn?
Over the 36 video lessons, Joseph covers a wide range of playing techniques as they come up in the excerpts, as well as detailed advice on playing each excerpt true to the composer's style.
- Bowings and fingerings
- Context of the pieces in the orchestra
- Playing in the style of the composer
- ... & much more!
Detailed sheet music for the excerpts is included in the course. These PDFs are displayed on the lesson pages and can be downloaded if required.
Here's what's being said about the course:
"You can listen to what people say, sure. But you will be far more effective if you listen to what people do."
Wise words from the business guru Seth Godin, and they have as much resonance in music.
Joseph Conyers exemplifies experience and expertise as an orchestral musician, and I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending his new 'Orchestra Chops' course.
- Leon Bosch, Professor of Music at Trinity Lavan Conservatoire of Music and Dance, soloist and educator.
Joseph Conyers' Orchestra Chops is an amazing set of courses. The lessons show Joe's true devotion to teaching and his way of explaining and transmitting his experience to bassists is precise and focused. I really recommend these courses, not only to bass players but to composers and conductors as well!
- Valentina Ciardelli
I love excerpts! There is so much to discover in each one - strokes to analyze, fingerings to explore, and musical ideas to dive into.