What is The Creative Improvisor?
- The Creative Improvisor is an online video course presented by Olivier Babaz which comprises over 5 hours of HD video across 43 lessons.
- The course is designed for intermediate to advanced level jazz bassists and covers Olivier's personal approach to improvisation.
- In addition to the video lessons, the course includes detailed transcriptions and backing tracks.
- Olivier is joined in the lessons by a guitarist so you can hear how these concepts sound in context.
- Optional subtitles in English are provided for each video.
Olivier Babaz is a French double bassist and composer living in Montreal, Canada. Renowned as a jazz bassist with incredible bowing technique, as well as for his stunning performances of double bass and kalimba. Olivier is also a columnist for the blog, No Treble.
If you are looking to change the way you approach improvising on the bass, this is the course for you.
What Will I Learn?
- The 43 video lessons are presented in a step-by-step order giving you a clear and logical route though the course material.
- Olivier Babaz covers a wide range of topics which are perfect for intermediate to advanced jazz bassists. From advice on phrasing, alternative techniques, reharmonizing chord progressions, ear training, rhythm exercises, percussion on the bass, playing in fast tempos, new ways to look at modes and much more.
- The concepts in these lessons are demonstrated using chord progressions to commonly played jazz standards such as Giant Steps, Stella by Starlight, Just Friends, Darn That Dream, Body and Soul, There Is No Greater Love, Alone Together, Oleo and more.
Start01. Repetition (9:27)
Start02. Phrasing as a Question or Answer (7:59)
Start03. Number of Notes Per Phrase (8:58)
Start04. Abstraction (12:30)
Start05. Reharmonisation with Pedal Tones – Darn That Dream (16:35)
Start06. Reharmonizing 'Night and Day' (3:24)
Start07. Ear Training Exercises (7:19)
Start08. Playing Ahead and Behind the Beat (6:39)
Start09. Rhythmic Placement with the Bow (4:39)
Start10. Eighth Note Phrasing (7:53)
Start11. Metronome Exercises on the Quarter Notes (5:58)
Start12. Metronome Exercises on the Eighth Notes (5:43)
Start13. Polyrhythms (4:58)
Start14. Foot Tapping on the Quarter and Eighth Notes (5:39)
Start15. Foot Tapping Polyrhythms (2:20)
Start16. Foot Tapping Different Sounds (2:51)
Detailed transcriptions of the exercises are included. These PDFs are displayed on the lesson pages and can be downloaded if required.
Olivier is joined in the studio by guitarist Sam Dunn, who provides tasteful accompaniment so you can hear how these concepts will sound in context. We have also included downloadable guitar backing tracks so you will have everything you need to practice at home.
Frequently Asked Questions
Expand your creative options with this alternative approach to improvisation