Beginner's Double Bass
A step-by-step method to learn the upright bass. 83 video lessons, 6 hours.
What Will I Learn?
- The 83 video lessons are presented in a step-by-step order giving you a clear and logical route though the course material. Starting with the very basics it covers everything you need to get started with the upright bass.
- The course is comprised of 27 chapters covering a wide range of essential topics. From advice on left hand technique and posture to a detailed look at the fundamentals of shifting, scales and arpeggios, everything you need is all in one place.
- Throughout this course, I have provided short study pieces for you to practice whilst working on the technical aspects. Many of these include backing tracks for you to practice with.
“Discover Double Bass is an exceptional online resource, other than a few hundred hours intensive practice, it’s singlehandedly been responsible for almost every performance skill I’ve developed on the upright bass. Thanks so much, Geoff 'the Upright Buddha!"
Phill Mann (Author, BGM Columnist, Players School of Music & SBL Lecturer)
• 83 lessons, six hours of video.
• Many of the lessons include backing tracks.
• Transcriptions of exercises.
• Videos include optional subtitles in English.
• Ask questions in our exclusive members-only study group.
• 30 day full refund policy.
If you are new to the double bass, or are a more experienced player wanting to review the fundamentals, this is the course for you.
Geoff Chalmers is the founder of Discover Double Bass, an educator and professional double bassist from the UK. He is a double bass fanatic who loves to teach and created Discover Double Bass to give you the tools, inspiration and support you need to create your best music.
Geoff teaching at the London Bass Show (photo by Future Publishing).
What if I Have Questions?
You can get help from Geoff Chalmers and other students in our private Facebook group. It’s a community of like-minded double bassists who are all looking to develop their playing.
"This is a great beginners introduction to playing the upright bass. I love the methodical approach to the lessons."
– Jesse Perez
Does any of this sound familiar?
- Are you struggling to play in tune?
- Do your hands get tired and you struggle to play in comfort?
- Do you throughly understand the layout of the fingerboard?
- Is your technique is holding you back?
If any of these challenges describe you, then Beginner's Double Bass is a great fit. Whether you are new to the double bass, or a more experienced player looking to review the fundamentals, we can help you get playing the right way!
What is Beginner's Double Bass?
Beginner’s Double Bass is a step-by-step video course presented by Geoff Chalmers which comprises six hours of HD video across 83 lessons. It is a comprehensive method that teaches everything you need to know to get started with the double bass. Reading music is not a requirement as all the exercises are demonstrated in the video lessons, but if you prefer to read them as well I have provided written exercises in standard notation.
Optional subtitles in English are provided for each video and if you want to see a sample lesson please click here: Lesson Preview.
By the end of this course you will have learnt the fundamentals of double bass technique, be able to play confidently and with great intonation.
"Geoff's style is informative and engaging, I recommend his classes to anyone looking to get started or brush up their skills on the Bass.”
– Darryl Clark
Transcriptions of the exercises for those who would like them. These PDFs are displayed on the lessons pages and can be downloaded if required.
Frequently Asked Questions
"Geoff goes into detail in every aspect of the course and takes the time to explain everything so even the new player can understand. Thank you for a great experience!”
– George Sinnott
Start your double bass journey the right way, with easy to understand lessons in a step-by-step order.